Updates and InterestsPosted: July 3, 2012
A few things have changed around here, we got toilets seats for one. Summer has taken over our house mind and body, I’m rarely on the computer, reaching for a book instead. I’m spending time marinating on all of the “arrows” I’ve been following since the spring and feel like these interests still have a lot to teach me before adding something new. Here’s a short list of the things I seem to be coming back to again and again:
1. “Primary Nutrition: “Healthy relationships, regular physical activity, a fulfilling career, and a spiritual practice can feed your soul and satisfy your hunger for life.” (excerpt from the curriculum of the Institute Integrative of Nutrition) This idea was developed by some of the leading functional/integrative medicine folks whose books and blogs I’ve come to know and respect. I find this whole concept deeply interesting, above whatever we put in/on our bodies, “primary nutrition” is paramount.
2. Summer Smut: I love to read and I read all kinds of things, this summer I’ve been reading quite a bit of smut, and it’s been AWESOME. I’ve also found it’s like a drug, trying to pick up a more substantial book after this should be interesting. It’s all in the name of the art of doing nothing – a practice worthy of my effort this summer.
3. Spending trends: Our family has identified some new interests, namely travel, that we’d like to do more of so I’ve been combing through and categorizing our expenses from past months to figure out how we can turbo charge our travel savings fund. If you don’t already do this I highly recommend it, there’s waste in our spending that has gone unidentified for too long, we are “spring cleaning” our spending and it feels soooo good.
4. Creating boundaries: I live in a big city with a lot of choice – many restaurants, many activities, many shopping venues. It’s too much choice, too much distraction for me and mine so I’m creating my own little small town by identifying the places and ways I want to spend my time, money and energy – I’m creating a list, and if you know me, you know I LOVE a list. If it’s not on the list you won’t see us there!
5. Breaking back out “Clean” by Dr. Junger M.D, to start thinking about our summer detox for August (possibly September due to aforementioned travel). There are tons of detox programs out there, if you are considering one I urge you to do your research, a week of water, lemon and paprika won’t work for a busy mom the way it might for a yogi on retreat in India……ya get what I’m saying.